re: Avarnia Myth

From: morganconrad_at_...
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 16:45:53 -0000

Good writing, good start, worth a beer. Email me and we'll figure out how to get you one.

I have one big problem with the myth though - why does Avarnia survive at the end? When Storm Bull was getting whacked by the Devil, he called upon his rage, he called upon the earth, and hey, he's a bull, they're tough. Bird are pretty fragile. I found the "she just gets up" disappointing since the rest was quite good.

Ideas:

  1. She does die. One of her eggs becomes the new Avarnia, she gets reincarnated. (sounds like something the Lunars would like)
  2. Or, we need some reason she survived trampling. I'm hard pressed here. Unless we turn Avarnia into a healing cult.
  3. Or, maybe she just "played dead". This could work, but puts a slight "tricksterish" spin onto Avarnia. Birds do play "hurt" just like in your tale, but I don't think they play dead.
  4. Maybe lots of her flock came out and saved her by leading away the horse-enemy. Sort of a "mass confusion lead them all over" feat.

There may be others. I like a and d best, they retain Avarnia as fundamentally bird-like. B and c have her win, not cause she's a bird, but cause she's a healer or a trickster.