Re: Avarnia Myth

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 20:29:05 -0000

I guess I like my oaks lofty -- or Black.

> >I normally find them along seacoats. They aren't really an inland
> >species. I think they can tolerate brackish water more than most
trees
> >as well. But the points you make are pretty good mythologically.
>
> They're all over the place in Austin, TX, which isn't all that
> close to the seacoast, and they are common in Oklahoma, which is
pretty far
> inland, all things considering.

Interesting! I wonder if they occupy the same niche as willows do up here - water sucking basement pirates along waterways and wetlands.

> "Lot Gulls," we called them in Minneapolis -- about as far
from a
> sea as you can get in this geologic age. Maybe they're heroquesting,
and
> eating garbage is part of the magic....

Er. That's making too much sense.

> >I tend to presume its mostly divine/supernatural and leave nature
and
> >science out of it.
>
> But that's half the fun. Even if the mountain range is there
> because Storm Bull put it up doesn't mean that it won't act like a
mountain
> range (weathering, habitats for plants and animals, rain shadows,
all that

Okay. I usually figure tht the weathering and all that are a part of mythological processes - the seas trying to wear the earth down and the sun warming the earth. All mythologically correct, of course! I bet you can get a good myth out of rain-shadows or micro-climates.

I like a diverse and interconnected mytho-system. =)

> stuff). It's kind of like the political and economic aspects of
Glorantha
> -- just because magic works, the gods are alive, and myth is
everywhere
> doesn't mean that economic and political forces aren't also at work
- they
> are just overridden or complicated from time to time.

Or form the _basis_ for the economic and political forces. The gods, essences and spirits _ARE_ what they do, I think. Remember, when the God of Silver Feet was slain, communication between cultures stopped in the Loksalm. If one were to somehow destroy Orlanth, the natural processes which he IS ceased to function. When the Lunars suppressed him in the DP area, the winds _stopped_ - all of them.

More on that will be found in 'Orlanth is Dead' but I think Greg posted a small preview of it here a few months back...

> >I always try to put this into my adventures - it gives the players
> >slightly better sense of being in a living world. Just like rumors
and
> >the like make them feel they are _not_ the center of attention.
>
> Yup and double yup.

Yeah, its a very basic narrator tool, but one one of the most effective I think.

> >Greeps. They cover the skies and deafen warriors with their
voices...

> Greeps?

Sorry, Greeps are a long injoke belonging to Greg Costykian (SP!!) but here goes...

"Greeps?" said the man at the bar, "You've never heard of Greeps? Well, let me tell you about them. Back when I was your age, we had a farm out Lismelder way. That was before we had to move and I got this." The old man waves a stump of his left arm. "Greeps. We could hear the damned things every night. In the Marsh. There're His servant's you know. His eyes. When the marsh came and ate our farm, we could hearl them all around us, croaking and laughing. But me and my brother, we'd hunt them with our spears whenever we could and brought them home to eat. Long time ago that was. But that's why everytime I come to Geo's, I get the frog's legs. They taste like greep."

> Peter Larsen, who thinks that there must be a "snipe quest"
somewhere in
> Glorantha....

You stay here. I'll go look for it and bring it back.

Jeff