RE: Avarnia Myth, we have a problem

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 07:02:56 +0100

Actually, there's no great contradiction there; I think the myth is perfectly compatible with the info that tells us that Basekora saved the people and the birds were "destroyed". It doesn't say who did/didn't try to save the birds, after all.

Presumably, at the same time that Avarnia was saving the much-maligned grackle, Basekora was saving the people. But that's *her* myth, and not Avarnia's. For all we know, Basekora isn't even interested in the birds - it certainly looks like she didn't do anything to save them. ;)

Even if you think the 2 myths are incompatible, well, that's where the Basekora and Avarnia worshippers disagree, isn't it? For another example of the same sort of thing, look at the differences between Humakti and Orlanthi myths about Death and how Orlanth got to the Underworld on the Lightbringers Quest.

Wouldn't surprise me if Basekora cultists heard the "bird story" and found some wat to include their goddess saving the day, though. :)