sedentary priests

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:13:32 -0000

Hi folks, just wanted to ask a question about religious workers whose roles are primarily ceremonial and ritual, rather than practical in the sense of calling winds and the like. I mean that the magical aspects listed for most of the Orlanthi are pretty umm "earthy" and in touch with nature and intervening in the real world.

How would we deal with the kind of priests who are so embedded in a religious heirarchy that their duties centre around the fulfilling of ritual? Presiding over crownings and apointments, performing 6-hours rituals for the health of the king, that sort of thing.

I worry that these will be described pretty blandly, on the "bless X, bless Y" pattern. does anyone have any thoughts on ways to make these sorts of characters interesting (although that does not mean to imply "adventure-capable"). Any thoughts appreciated.