RE: Re: Stories & Storytelling

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:27:47 +0100

On Tuesday, October 16, 2001 7:28 PM, Kevin Blackburn [SMTP:kevin_at_...] wrote:

> The sort of storytelling I mean may sound worse, but might prove better
> - it requires you to learn enough of the bones of the story to tell, and
> then tell it from memory.

This does improve the "performance" part of telling a story very well. Helps encourage you to keep the length reasonable, too. ;)

> But rehearse it to yourself
> first, and aim for no more that five or ten minutes telling (ten, at the
> start is ambitious).

In a game, whether I'm telling the story as GM or player, I try yo keep it to less than 5 minutes. Players (me included) prefer interaction to exposition. I get very aware of how I'm holding stuff up if I'm just telling them stuff.

Regards,

Bruce