Re: Breaking hospitality and the Greeting

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:21:35 -0500

Charles Corrigan says:
>The participants in the ritual are the chief (or other person
>authorised to perform the ritual) using Heortling Myths, Clan Myths
>or Greeting Ritual (10w to 10w2),

        This might be some aspect of Dar magic, so the Chief can just use the appropriate ability. Everyone else might have to improvise off Initiate/Devotee of Orlanth, Worship Storm pantheon, etc. This is one reason why strangers are kept cooling their heels at the edge of the Tula -- to give the guys with good scores in the necessary abilities (and the weaponthanes) time to show up.

> the guest using Heortling Myths or
>the Greeting Ritual (say 10w), the clan wyter using Awareness (or
>something more specific) (say 15w) and the entire clan (community
>participation) (+8 or more, can't remember the numbers off the top of
>my head).

        This would make it easier for Heortlings (and neighbors) to mess with the process than complete strangers, which seems a little odd. (Sure, they know the loopholes, but you'd think the Lunar idea of "correct hospitality" would throw the process for a loop, too.)

>All of these combine to force the literal truth during the ritual
>itself and also backup the resulting curse for breaking hospitality.
>
>However there are several get-outs clauses that I can see.

        All good and necessary for dramatic effect.

>4 - members of the clan are less closely bound by the ritual than the
>direct participants but will still get it in the neck if they break
>the ritual via their connection to the clan and wyter.

        It's the clan, I think, that "gets it in the neck." Look at the "sin rules" in TR -- everyone suffers when a clan member breaks divine law. Of course, they should have a pretty good idea of who the culprit is in most cases, and the situation can be resolved....

Peter Larsen