Re: Breaking hospitality and the Greeting

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:58:44 +0100

> From: "Ian Cooper" <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
>First question: Can you equivocate? I'd have said yes, just because
>it makes for more interesting stories, but that relies on an
>interpretation that says the letter of what is said is verified not
>the intent.
>
>and once hospitality has been offered and accepted it is binding.
>Those who break it suffer Orlanth's wrath.

Not sure without specific context. You can be "mean" and offer the minimum hospitality and courtesy (KoDP) and this tends to bring mundane wrath down on you (feuds etc.) - possibly still an example of pre-empting (see below).

>Second Question: I am assuming this is Divine Wrath. So dDoes this
>fall on non-Orlanthi who make the Greeting or is that a 'caveat
>emptor' situation?

I think Orlanthi will pre-empt the divine element of wrath if possible (as that tends to be less dangerous). Not offering food to a hungry guest could mean your crops fail next season and so forth. Pre-empting the divine element could avert this. (Also Orlanth favours those who stick up for themselves - if able).

>Third question: Can the guest create a situation that breaks the
>ritual orforces the host to break the ritual so that he or she can
>act (i.e. commit an act of violence) without fear of Divine Wrath.

Yes. To an extent. You can certainly be so stingy that you provoke your guest into anger and so forth.

>Obviously I am being a bit circumspect to avoid giving too much away
>to my plaers who are on this list, but you should think stories like
>The Champion's Portion for the kind of feel I am going for.

I think there is room for scope in this for a good story.

Thom