Re: Breaking hospitality and the Greeting

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:08:51 -0000

Nick wrote:
> Don't take it so literally, then.

Oops failed my:provide extreme numbers to indcate disbelief roll. Bad Ian, irony does not work in email <slap>.

>I think the suggestion that this ritual can piggyback off Heortling
customs and myths (if you ever need numbers, which by and large you don't) is v. sound.

Well, I guess it is because I like the idea that because you participate in the ritual you cannot resist it, forcing you to use cunning (or a cunning ability)to avoid the ritual rather than resist it.

I'm happier with the deceiver using his Lie 5W to equivocate and overcome the guards Spot Assasin 17 than to overcome the greetings truth magic. But that's an indication of style, not an assertion that I am right :-o

But I think this definitely depends on the 'feel' of your game i.e. whether you want people to be able to resist this kind of magic or be forced to use cunning.

Ian Cooper