Re: Hiding Evil in plain sight

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:31:52 -0000

I guess one big question is whether you can worship one of those "evil" deities while still practicing communal worship of the storm tribe. Another is can an initiate lapse to communal worship without triggering magical repercussions?

If the answer to both of those is yes, then since most people have only low affinity scores it shouldn't be that hard to hide your lack of expected magic. You don't bother trying the magic, or you just seem not to have much success. I view it a bit like those people who in modern western society can't read, but manage to hide it for years. Especially if your new lord overlaps your old one a bit. A former Ernaldan who switches to Malia might manage to cure a sick person, for example.

Still, over time it gets harder and harder to cover especially as you further develop your new gods virtues......

> Many good stories go out the window if it isn't possible for a wellrespected
 community priest to actually be a servant of the Evil Gods.

Hmmm, yes, I can see this....we are being tormented by the gods because someone is eeeevilllll....so we must make more and greater sacrifices to appease them. Yes, I know we've never sacrificed black roosters at midnight before, but these are desperate times and I know about these things, remmeber. Ah yes, him, he's part of the problem. Bind him up and bring him to this remote shack then go away, when I drive the evil from him you wouldn't want it to possess you now would you? Ah, so sad, mixed results, I drove out the evil spirit but the process killed him. I hope the spirit didn't possess anyone else, watch your neighbours for signs of bad behavior, speaking against me would be foremost amongst them.........

> Thoughts? Is it all just Concealment and Hiding affinities?

I think at least in part it is the difficulty of locating who amongst the community is the problem, and the fairly subtle nature of most augments that most people do.

-Bryan