Re: Heortling men and their beards

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:10:52 -0000

>The hero, Njal, is definately considered less of a man and
ridiculed for his lack of beard growth. It's one of the themes that run through the saga... Vikings are as good a precedent for Orlanthi as anyone, I'd say.

And IIRC correctly the Hound of Ulster was similarly afflicted.

We also know that Lhankor Mhy requires all his worhsippers to have beards (and women wear fakes) so a LM worhsipper might fit your needs. This does imply the rest of Heorlting culture is not as prescreptive (else why mention it) but... remember that while we have a meta-picture of Heorlting life from TR, individual clans and tribes also have local differences. Maybe one of their ancestors made a commitiment that all men of the clan must grow beards for magical or religious puposes.

[James and I play in the same house game]

James, if LM does not do it for you and you need some specific beard tradition for your story in our house campaign, let me know, I'll pick one of the Mitchuinn clans for you and either you can come up with a myth about some clan hero, or we can all do it together, which will explain why that clan place such a especially strong emphasis on the beard.

Ian Cooper