Re: Hiding in Plain Sight etc...

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:39:31 -0000

> So how come people still believe in religion? How come people
believe their
> own religion is better than the tangible benefits of science?

I have no idea. Well actually I do have an idea, but it gets wrapped up in the psychology of culture and other OT stuff.

> The point is that to those who believe, the benefits are REAL.

But a lunar hoplite on the receiving end of an Orlanthi lightning bolt is NOT required to believe, because the hypothetical lightning bolt is tangible.

> And anyway, why do you believe the lightening bolt does come from a
> god? Is

OK, sure - I understand that Malkionism is cynical about the properties of theistic beings. But the previous poster was, I understood, asking what the tangible benefits of Malkionism are. I would say the liturgical blessings are as far as it goes, and they are not nearly as dramatic as a manifest lightning bolt or Orlanthi flying. Now the point in hand was Greg saying that Malkionism is no weirder than RW religions, and Morgan pointing out that, unlike the real world, there ARE places you can go in Glorantha where you can be bestowed the tangible and useful ability to throw lightning bolts or bless cows and the like for the same worshipful behaviour. And thus he asks, why is there not an exodus from the intangible promises of Malkionism toward the tangible benefits of theism? I mean I'm happy with answer like "because its drilled into them from borth that theism is evil".