Re: Re: IG

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:24:26 -0800

> Skipping from the peasants to the Western upper classes who actually
> fight the barbarians, there seems to be a belief that you've got the
> Abiding Book (just how official is this book?) with plenty of awesome
> spells to protect you from the brute pagan barbarians.

About as official as you can be. Check HW 187 and 199. The Blessing/Spell in question is "Resist Pagan Gods". For Westerners in constant contact with pagans, they'll have Holy Orders with much more specific spells and curses.

> But in the Sartar books (currently on loan, hope I remember right)
> the Orlanthi tactic against western style knights and sorcerers
> explicitly emphasizes the use of lightning bolts to take out their
> magi. And this must work fairly well, since the western types are
> *not noted* as unusually tough enemies, unlike the Lunars.

If you are trying to remember the "Your Enemies" sidebar on TR 47, the quote about Aeolians (the only sorcerers mentioned) is "Soulless sorcerers support them, so we always use our magic and weaponthanes to kill the sorcerers first." Nothing about *what* magic is used, and the thrust of the sentence is "kill the sorcerers first, deal with the knights later". It is a question of targeting priorities.

Roderick