Re: Re: IG

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:47:14 +1300

John Machin:

>Are the Sorcerers that that the Orlanthi face the massed wizardly might of
>the West? Or the part sorcerer/part-theists that seem to lurk around the
>'edges' of the Theistic centre of Gnertela?

The westerners concerned are the Aeolians of Heortland, a somewhat heterodox creed whose details can be found up at:

http://www.glorantha.com/hw/cultlong_aeolus.html

They don't have much in the way of combat sorcerers and so the lack of fear about the soulless sorcerers by the Heortlings is unsurprising.

Against the Seshnegi or the Loskalmi, the Orlanthi would be a lot more respectful.

>I don't see Makkabeans being anything like as useful as the sorcerous
>magicians of the West since they lack the total magical support of their
>society.

Sorcerers do not need the magical support of their society to be effective. All that they really need is material support (food, accommodation, books, research expenses) so they can study their spells full time. The Makabaeus sorcerers are effective because of their support by the Empire. But they are only one of many types of magicians within the Lunar College of Magic, and so the Heortlings aren't very familiar with them AFAIK.

--Peter Metcalfe