Re: Broyan at Knight Fort

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 11:23:40 -0800

YGMV. At 02:54 PM 11/7/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>>>Specifically in 1614, when Broyan and co. are garrisoning Knight's Fort
>>>(according to Tradetalk#5).

>While I don't regard Broyan as a fervent supporter of the Pharaoh, his
>conduct in 1622-24 suggests that he does support the concept of a unified
Well, I see him as wanting a unified Kethaela -- under his command!

>Kethaela. To make him an active foe of the Pharaoh would take some
>explaining.

I myself see him as anti-Pharaoh. He sells out the entire land when he opens the doors of the City of Wonders in return for Harrek's help. His activities in Esrola are, I think, overemphasized when he is called King and so on. He had a desperate mercenary force in the time he was in Esrola. He became successful later. His later importance makes his presence in Esrola even more serious in retrospect than it might ave been at the battle.

>WRT heavy cavalry: The use of mounted, somewhat heavily armed warriors,
>uncommon in tribal warfare, had become a mainstay in the Sartarite princely
>army. The forces which the Sartarite princes brought to aid Palashee Longaxe
>against the Lunars both at the start and towards the end of his reign were
>of this type, which was described in the Dragon Pass boardgame battalia as
>influenced by the Westerners of the Holy Country.
IN my mind this doesn't happen for a long time yet to come. The appearance of the charging nobility on horses at those battles is a surprise aberration, not the standard style of fighting.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>