Aeolians and Andrini

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 01:05:01 +1300

Jerome Blondel:

>Me>Judging by the description of Heortland in TR, the
> >Aeolians don't appear to be great fans of "Andrini" rulers.

>the Aeolians? By the description, it's Andrin who helped them spread their
>religion

The description is nowhere as forthright or clear as you state. All it does give is the names of the four tribes (Volsaxings, Jondalarings, Hurlant and Esvularing) with a few statements about each.

>and I believe that they're the most pro Andrin people you can find
>in the kingdom.

I disagree. In the glorantha: intro, the Malkioni are contrasted with the Hendreiki in several places (for example, the Lunars are appointing Malkioni to be Sheriffs over the Hendreiki which wasn't done before and is depicted as a Bad Thing p142 - this wouldn't be the case if the Andrini and Aeolians were close).

As far as I understand matters, Andrin is not pro-Aeolian (Larnste, Hendreik and Andrin do not appear in the Aeolian list of divine saints). His purpose was not to turn Heortland into a Malkioni Kingdom but to transform Heortland into something that suited the Pharaoh better.

Since the Pharaoh requires Heortland to be a Storm-worshipping region, the spread of Aeolian religion is contrary to the Pharaonic design of the Holy Country* and so the Andrini would not have been encouraging the Aeolians to go forth and convert. Since the Pharaoh's disappearance and Rikard's appearance, it's a different story.

*I imagine all sixths must have suffered from some slopping over and contamination. Porthomeka, the Kitori and the Black Arkati could be other examples of this undesirable contamination.

--Peter Metcalfe