Leaping into the dark

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:59:26 EST

Ian writes:
> Go and read Martin Laurie's Gwandor campiagn at Wesley's site.
> Martin's material is one example of how you can interpret the
> sources. It fits with my vision in some ways but not in others. In
> some places it contradicts the 'official' story. Try finding
> the 'death of Orlanth' there.

Yes, indeed, the game was played before I knew about this event and for a while it bugged me as making my work incomplete, then I realised that my players were off doing their own thing at the time and considered themselves quite as important as Broyans efforts and as a result were really not interested in his actions except as a distant ally. So, at the end of the day, missing the Death of Orlanth from my timeline did not hurt the history of Dragonfriend.

This is a good example of how not to worry too much about retconning your campaign to fit new writing.

>I don't think it's there; support for
> the idea came later from Issaries. Does it matter?

No, not really. If my players had been Broyan warbanders then it would have, but they weren't so I was safe. Mostly they weren't even in DP anyway.

>I doubt it, and
> Martin and his players are playing the Hero Wars and are further with
> the great events thatn anyone else I've heard of. More power to them.

Long way to go yet!

For those interested, you can get my timeline of the Gwandor campaign by emailing me. It is constantly evolving but runs up to 1655 from 1620 and has all the major events and many minor events in the HW listed and some interpretations of my own based on the ambiguities of the history (Harrek king in 1630, Battle of Heroes, where did Harvar Ironfist go, all the Argraths (there are loads of them) and others)

Martin Laurie