Re: Re: Contributing to Glorantha

From: segolene <segolene.fausten_at_...>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 19:00:47 +0100

> > And those are just the ones that easily leap to mind. Take
> > a look at what's published in the Unspoken Word, Tradetalk,
> > or Tales of the Reaching Moon. Most of that stuff will
> > probably never remotely have a chance of getting "Gregged".
>
> But sometimes such material has influence on material which will become
> official one time, if nobody knows about your ideas about "your Glorantha"
> something like this will never happen (if you don't send you stuff
directly
> to Issaries)

    I don't think that people who contribute to fanzines want their material to become official anyway. TORM, UW, and TT are written in english and have some chance to be "Gregged" but what about fanzines (and web sites) in other langages that Issaries will probably never be able to read ??? They do exist ! And their autors may have not time, nor ressoucres to translate them in English (especially US English, as they have learned UK English or Australian English or others).

> > There is one other reason people have not been posting as
> > much that needs to be mentioned. It has nothing to do with
> > people's hesitancy to write and/or post on certain "risky"
> > topics. The number of people who are interested in reading
> > or gaming in Glorantha is still shrinking.
>
> That is surely true. In Germany with have real problems with making HW
more
> popular as RQ was.

True : you may not want to hear about it but the new HW rules have "cut off" the glorantha fans.
In France, some (many of the ?) "historical" RQ referees don't want to upgrade their game to HW rules and go on playing with the old rule system but sometimes buy HW supplements as sourcebooks (especially if this book are not only upgrades of former RQ publications). They have enough experience as referees to adapt this material easily and find it a waste of time to make their players learn a new system !
One of them told me : "In RQ, the average resistance is 10-11 (50%,55%) and PJ have from 8 to 15+ (40% to 75%+ chance of success). I don't see any interest in changing this to an average resistance of 14 (70%) with players with 13 to 21+ chance of success ! If we want to quantify "virtues", we usually use the Pendragon system and relations need not to be quantified : you may loss an old friend without knowing why)." This people really like Glorantha but have little time for it (job, family, need time to write their own scenarii as their PJs are not in the Pavis and Dragon Pass aera anymore).
One of them has developped his complete "own unofficial Pamaltela" for RQ3. I have developped my own campaign in Ralios and lunars are not the first topic that interested my players. This material is still RQ3's...

Best regards.