Any Norwegians here?

From: rexabean_at_...
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 16:19:53 +1100

G'day all,

> While in China recently (bear with me) I saw
> The episode ended in a hut, with the tribes
> people gathered round a fire,
> with everything fading into some religious
> symbol.

Sounds like a movie I saw a ?decade? ago which is a dramatisation of a Lapp (or Finnish) epic, the Kalevala maybe (or I may be way off-beam name-wise).

What you saw was near the end of the movie where the ?Viking/Norman? raiders had just slaughtered the young hero's family and some of the village (with a very cool bear shaman/hunter leader) for their furs, using crossbows, and in chainmail against furclad hunter types. He is forced to lead them to where the rest of the villagers (more a nomad tent encapment really) have escaped to and whilst crossing the mountain chain he runs them off a cliff edge (by starting an avalanche) and then causes another one to kill off the few bad guys who manage to climb back up the cliff (by merrily cutting off the guys below - mainly the leader bad guy is the one sacrificing his followers).

Somehow our young hero survives to stagger into the encampment and is brought into the sauna/steam-type hut to recover and it fades away into a religious/shamanistic type healing ceremony.

It is really good and I recommend it but if you look under Finnish or Lapplandish movie epics or movies of legend it should be easy to find. I think part of its advertising when I saw it was "The first Finnish/Lappish movie ever made/distributed outside its home country"

Cheers, Andrew