Re: Picking brains

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 08:38:37 -0800

HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 11:06:07 -0000
> From: "ian_hammond_cooper" <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
> Subject: Picking brains
>
> Guys,
>
> I caught a glimpse on the history channel last night of a program
> called Aamzon Warriors. It appeared to be discussing a group of
> African warrior women from C18 who fought against French occupation.
> I think they were called something like 'Dahome' but there was no
> text so its just a poor phonetic guess. I cannot find any references
> on the web. Anybody have any idea who they are and any useful
> references, I'm intrigued and I might use them for some Gloranthan
> inspiration?
>
> Ian Cooper

I don't remember the exact country, but one of the African kingdoms had a regiment of woman bodyguards. I remember reading about them once and seeing a drawing of them charging the French guns with spears. I seem to recall that said African nation then spent rather a long time under French rule so I don't think the women won. :)