Re: Followers. What have you got?

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:30:17 -0000

> In some ways I guess a map is a simple picture, so it works for
that
> role too...
>
> Ian Cooper

I always found maps to have a couple of problems: - they tend to either have too much detail, or make people think that the detail doesn't exist ("What do you mean the wolf leaps in through the window, there aren't any windows marked on here!") - unless you make them huge, everyone tends to end up clustering around a smallish piece of paper trying to describe what they do.

The group that I've done the majority of my role playing with over many many years has many faults, but one thing we've used with great success is to bring along a chess set and a box of dominoes. The dominoes make quick walls, trees, or whatever else is needed, and the chess pieces make handy "miniatures" when needed. Oh, and the chess board gives you a flat hard surface to put them on. You can usually set up the dominos while describing the scene.

The advantage of the domino construction is that it is clearly simplified, so people feel free to say "I find a low bush and hide behind it" even if you haven't shown any low bushes, etc. Oh, and the other advantage is that you don't have to draw a lot of maps up ahead of time.

Yes, this does smack a little bit of "arrange your miniatures in your marching order." from old D&D days, but sometimes, and especially for some people, having some sort of visual aid really helps them get more imaginative.

I still agree that having some pictures to help give people a better mental image is useful, if you have the right kind of pictures available.

-Bryan