RE: A community creative challenge

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:04:41 -0500

I think the most immediately obvious differences are that the villages are square shaped, as are all of the buildings due to the Earth connection. I also suspect that a lot of the buildings would be at least partially underground. Lot's and lot's of female magical symbols rather than masculine ones. Female procreative imagery's a big thing and the love of being out in the open air isn't present. They're definitely pro-nature, just not air lovers like the Heorltings.

The other really obvious difference is that you're going to see armed women rather than men and the people you have to speak with are invariably women. None of this equal opportunity guff that you get in Heorlting villages, they know the proper order of things:-)

All the major roles, traders, village leaders, craftspeople, etc. are women, even the burly village smith under the spreading chesnut tree. When the children run away from strangers they run to their male caretakers. I don't know if they'd be their fathers, probably more likely to be their uncles.

Another big difference is that nature is farther away in Esrolia for the most part. Nature has been tamed there and you have to wander pretty far or out of the way to leave farmland behind. Much more built up and developed than Sartar. High population density too so it's crowded, even in the villages. Of which there are lots more and closer together. The political structure's strange too as the village leader is the representative of an area ruler who's responsible to someone higher up the chain (and they're all women). Is sanitation worse, probably not.

Don't ask me where this all came from, I guess it decided to write itself:-)

Oliver