Re: Head count

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 13:35:14 -0800

Peter provides a counter-point, again showing just how diverse the range of Orlanthi custom can be...

> Surely the practice can't be that dire.

I think there's room for both our positions and more among the customs of the various tribes. As I said, YGMV.

> I don't see it as a binding as much as proof that you were the
> better warrior.

Notches on the sword or tats are less smelly. :)

As to binding and the magical component, the choice is up to the individual warrior. Certainly real world head-taking usually had a component of magical appropriation. The HW rules system copes with it easily. And if its an option, its an option.

I don't see head-taking being
> against Orlanthi law, especially if you hang them from the walls of the
> Chief's Hall or display them in the shrine, or do something "proper" with
> them.

Nor do I. It has its place, and in some tribes may be fairly commonplace. For me though, its a proclamation that you want to play with the big boys, kinda like challenging the gunslinger to a draw. Things invariably get interesting afterwards. :)

The effect on the 'donating' clan does have to be considered though. Once again, real world custom is big on whole bodies for funerary rites. The victim's kin will want it back. Keeping it in the chief's hall or a shrine is probably ok, but keeping it at your stead hearth is an invitation for raiding, and exposes your family to greater risk.

Have a great Sacred Time folks.

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

"Luckily, at that moment an unconscious Argentinean fell through the roof."