RE: Re: Head count

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:07:22 -0000

>> "The Fox King" on Nick Brooke's site claims that taking heads just
>> marks you as really old fashioned. Surely the practice can't be that
>> dire.

> Aha! THAT'S the reference I was trying to find, that was what started
> me on this idea, I remember reading it some time ago.

The URL is www.etyries.com/folktale/foxking.htm

As for Chaos connections, I'll stick by my old story, that the chaos god Than represents a vile chaotic perversion of the ancient Orlanthi custom of head-taking.

Stealing someone's wind by taking their head seems on a par to me with trapping their wind within them by, say, strangling or hanging them. Actually, hanging's much *worse*, because without any contact with either the wind (breath) or the earth, you're *really* making it difficult for your victim to reach the Otherworld.

When the Orlanthi say "Hanging's too good for 'em," they must *really* mean it. Save it for Chaotics, Sorcerers, the Poss clan and other unspeakable ancient foes.

Cheers, Nick