RE: Clans question

From: Phil Hibbs <phil_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:23:02 -0000

> After playing the fascinating (if way too difficult) KoDP
> I want to play a clan based game.

All IMO:

> 1) Do roads in Sartar go through clan property or between borders?

Through. Who's going to keep the roads free of bandits? Bear in mind that there were no major roads at the time that KoDP is set.

> 2) If through do you have to ask permission to pass through tulas
> when you are not stopping?

Not if you are good at sneaking!

> 3) Are the King's Roads like interstate roads, passing around
> settlements?

I think if the roads did bypass settlements, then those settlements would tend to move closer to the road for the economic advantages.

> 4) How do you raid someone far away without fighting every clan
> between you and them.

Negotiate, call in favours, bribe.

> 5) With the Hero Wars rules for Wyters is it impossible to run murder
> mysteries?

No, the wyter doesn't know everything. Clan magic isn't infallible in asking for the answer either even if the wyter knows (if the two are distinguishable). If you take measures to dispose of the deceased's spirit (bind it or banish it, for example) then the wyter won't know what it knows. If the victim didn't see his assassin, the wyter won't know who it was either, unless some other local spirit saw it happen and tells it.

> 6) Does the Wyter speak in riddles like divination (can it be
> ambiguous)?

Absolutely!

> 7) Can a Wyter's attention be misdirected while some other mischief
> is taking place.

Yes, but see the last point in the answer to 5.

> 8) Would a Wyter alert the Chief if there were unauthorised, non-
> violent, social contact across borders, say, love affairs, football
> matches, smuggling, etc?

I think so.

> 9) Do clan members ask permission before going to another clan's
> fairs and markets?

Normally, yes, but they will have to face the consequences if they do not.

Phil.
Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.