Re: re: Building A Better Vingan

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:32:26 -0800

Two vingan renderings:

Morgan makes constructive criticism, and John delves into the mysteries of 3D model inspiration:

> The sword looks big - she'd have to use it 2 handed. My impression
> is that 2 handed sword use is rare in Sartar (other than some
> Humakti). Is this wrong?

Generally, you're right. Most warriors use spear and shield or sword and shield. Of course champions and heroes (and this is the level we're talking here) use any number of arcane and unusual weapons and techniques. Many cults have special weapons and weapon secrets.

Vingans excel at the spear. The warrior depicted will most certainly have a spear close by.

As to the size of the sword; note that is is engraved with a rune of motion. Why would a sword entuned to stormy change and the rolling movements of the air resist efforts to set it in motion? It would positively fly, light as a breeze and swift as thunder!

The HW system tends to abstract combat styles. I play vingans as having two distinct modes. The first is *long distance* spear and javelin - she has the Mile Javelin feat, among others. For close combat, most vingans rely on speed and agility - darting about, leaping on shields, vaulting spears, using their considerable movement, leaping and running feats to best advantage. They tend to be lightly armoured, and rely on agility and speed to avoid blows, and unusual angles of attack to strike home. Very Xena, sans armour and even *more* acrobatic. Usually, swords would tend to be light - the long handled sword fits here because it is a *motion* sword.

> Also, that helmet is way shiny. Suitable for some pompous Solar
> type, but Vingans would be more practical and have one you can't spot
> from miles away.

Two answers here. One is technical: in the original rendering I dropped a bump map - this has now been fixed. Thanks for the observation :). The second relates to Gloranthan metals and their appearance.

3D modelling is a bricolage craft- you take whatever bits and pieces you have to hand and (literally!) bend, disguise, recolour and mold them to get something approximating what you want. It's always a compromise, especially in clothing, which is almost impossible to model from scratch.

When I do Gloranthan figures, I always try to make them uniquely *gloranthan*, and distinct from generic fantasy adventurers. For Heortlings, this means rune tats and a special attention to the unique features of Gloranthan metals. In describing and depicting ga-metals, I always emphasise rich orange bronzes and blue-white irons, and, because Ga-metals are bodies of gods, I give them high specularity and reflectivity. My metals ga-metals *shine* quite deliberately.

And yes, in the wild she would have to muddy it up. :)

> Banner and shield are nice!

Thank ye. I'm still working on hero wars banner designs. This one is a start in the right direction, but has a ways to go. Modelling projects are never finished, merely abandoned. :)

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

I don't give a damn if some Thracian ape strut Proud of that first-rate shield the bushes got. Leaving it was hell, but in a tricky spot I kept my hide intact. Good shields can be bought.