Re: Clans question

From: jeffkyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:14:10 -0000

Both. Sometimes, over the centuries, the borders might migrate to being along either side of a trade road. However, most of teh borders are defined by the high ridges and passes and bad-terrain that Sartar is so full of. Its easier to defend a pass than the lenght of a road.

> 2) If through do you have to ask permission to pass through tulas
> when you are not stopping?

Yes, though its usually a formality with the warrior or three on border duty, especially along one of the King's Roads.

> 3) Are the King's Roads like interstate roads, passing around
> settlements?

They link the major settlements. That was their purpose. They may go through settlments but in many cases, where the local tribeal chief proved objectionable, they may go _around_ - with crippling effects to the local economy. Roundstone seems to be one of these poor benighted places.

> 4) How do you raid someone far away without fighting every clan
> between you and them.

Go through the wildernesses and wastes that surround the clan 'heartlands' or bribe the clan warriors to let you go through.

> 5) With the Hero Wars rules for Wyters is it impossible to run
murder
> mysteries?

Yes. The wyter is like a spiritual body. When you're sick, you just know you are sick. Youdon't know which cell is causing the trouble. You _MIGHT_ be able to narrow it down but the Clan seems to be the smallest focus for that sort of community magic - the gods are kinda of nearsighted.

Having a Knowing Man around is thus very helpful.

> 6) Does the Wyter speak in riddles like divination (can it be
> ambiguous)?

Its ambigious to anyone who's not the chief. Everyone else can sorta get the gist (Bark! What's that Lassie? Timmy's a Lunar infiltrator?) depending on how long theyv'e been listening to the rustling of the leaves or heard the ringing of the spearhead (I would base it on your 'relationship to clan' vs a 10w or something like that)

> 7) Can a Wyter's attention be misdirected while some other mischief
> is taking place.

Possible. Yes. Depends on the type of wyter but a raiding band can be marvellously distracting.

> 8) Would a Wyter alert the Chief if there were unauthorised, non-
> violent, social contact across borders, say, love affairs, football
> matches, smuggling, etc?

Probably not. It would depend on how the Awareness Trait for that wyter is worded. Notice Intruders would be more sensitive than Detect Dara Happan Foes for example.

> 9) Do clan members ask permission before going to another clan's
> fairs and markets?

Usually. Its good form. But you don't _have_ to. No one can make you do anything. Folks that are in the Chief's service MUST ask for leave of absence though.

> Thanks for giving this your attention,
> Tom

Good questions!

Thanks