Re: Clans question

From: t_m_ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:15:36 -0000

Hmm, Is all Tribal land the property of one or more Clans, or do they just claim the wilderness between tulas as belonging to the tribe? (at least in KoDP it is possible to create "non-contiguous" tribes - I would have thought in practice they would have needed either to "own" the route between tulas or have it pass along a neutral (ie not theough anyone elses land) road

> > 2) If through do you have to ask permission to pass through tulas
> > when you are not stopping?
>
> Off the roads, strangers on a tula might be mistaken for raiders.
> Acquiring 'permission'' by announcing yourself or being accompanied
> by a clansman can prevent misidentification. Otherwise, honest
> traders announce their presence with load horn blasts.

"No one can *make* you do anything"! You don't have to ask permission if you don't intend on stopping, but if you don't make your presence known then you can't legitimately complain if you are treated as raiders. If you are in "hot pursuit" of raiders or other villains then you would probably only give greeting and ask permission if anyone challenged you, If you were on a trading mission, pilgrimage or other journey then, unless you are feuding with the clan in question, or have reason to mistrust their hospitality, you would probably announce your presence and trust that they respect Heort's laws and treat you fairly.

> > 9) Do clan members ask permission before going to another clan's
> > fairs and markets?
>
> A clan assembly is a big deal. Merchants come to where there are
> people. I'd say that fairs and markets will grow up around clan
> things (legal meetings). Nobody needs permission to announce a legal
> case, or to provide legal support, so I'd say that nobody needs
> permission to attend a clan gathering.

I don't have the rules to hand, but in RQ Issaries priests had a "Create Market" spell. I'd suspect that fairs and markets are treated as some sort of "hospitality special case", so that everyone attending is assumed to be bound by the rules of hospitality, at least at the very basic level. A fair or market with no outsiders would be a fairly minor/low key affair.

A merchant wishing to trade at a clan market (or an entertainer wanting to perform, etc) probably needs permission from the appropriate authorities - which doesn't mean there aren't shysters and snake oil salesmen operating on the fringes, and a thane turning up with a heavily armed warband should probably ensure that everyone (on both sides) is fully aware of their status as visitors or guests. Contrariwise, it would be a brave or foolish man that wandered alone through the fair of a clan he is feuding with - but for the most part I don't think there is a problem.