Re: Clans Questions

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:35:05 -0000

>If a clan has, say, 4 or 5 bloodlines is it kinstrife (ie,
Chaos doom and gloom) if someone from bloodline A murders bloodline D.

Yes, the clan is the basic social unit. Killing another member of the clan is kinsrife, which is forbidden.

>Is everyone in the clan kin?

Yes, but the links may be skaldic and vague or through adoption etc. Remember, as TR says, kinship is flexible The clan defines who your kin are and is in turn defined by it.

>Are there relative levels of 'kinness'?.

Some kin are more important in your life than others. In a patriachal clan descent is traced through the male line so male kin, your brothers and father are your most important kin (opposite in matriachal clans).

Kin closer in degree (probably descended from a common grandfather) may have had more influence in your life than others - they are simply around more. Affinal kin (kin by marriage) are less close, they come from another clan.

Your entire bloodline is collectively responsible for your actions (possibly in degree by closeness to you) so they will have more say in your affairs, than those of other bloodines.

We don't really know if Heortlings have 'godparents' - sponsors at initiation - but if they do, Anglo-Saxon culture suggests that your 'godkin' are considered 'close' kin. Blood brothership or similar rituals may recognize friends as 'good-as-kin'.

Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper