RE: Roads in Sartar

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 06:47:15 -0000

Jeff wrote:

> As a practical matter, travellers along the King's highways were rarely
> challenged during the "good old days" of the House of Sartar...
> Those days, however, are now gone. Euglyptus the Fat declared some
> foreign legal-goobly-gook regarding the roads that everyone ignored.
> Raiders routinely plundered strangers on the roads and clan chiefs would
> often demand outrageous bribes from passing merchants.

I'm reminded of a quote from a John James novel (partly misremembered, no doubt):

"Time was when a royal virgin carrying a golden dish could travel the length of this road with only a dozen men for bodyguard..."

Yep, I like the "Good Old Days" vs. nowadays approach to this. It's one Anglo-Saxon authors were familiar with: the measure of a strong King is that you can travel safely through his lands because none of his people will *dare* interfere with you. The Lunars, by dividing Sartarite tribes ("those who are not against us, are with us"), prevent this degree of security -- everyone knows Temertain is too weak to invoke his purported royal powers, and the folk who are raiding the roads are *already* confronting the armed might of the Empire.

Cheers, Nick