Re: Digest Number 707

From: Dougie <dougiepunk_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 02:17:14 -0000

> We know that the roads are magical. But what are they like? Are they
> like the roads of Old Pavis? Paved in stone?
>
> Sartar gets pretty fierce winters, and in Finland we have had to learn a
> lot about building roads that will survive it.
>
> Water seeps in, freezes and moves the stones/breaks the road.
>
> But I suppose that's a part of the magic.

well, here in blighty the Romans managed to build roads that lasted, in varying conditions admittedly, but continually in use for 2000 years - and that includes the entitre "dark ages" .. ..no magic needed... the modern M1 motorway is largely built on the main London - North Roman road!!

One for AS scholars on the list - Alfred the Great seems good Sartar model in his unifying of the various tribes/kingdoms etc - are ther any records of how he handled this with the v. similar Roman roads?

Dougie. :).