the Kingdom of Elmet

From: contracycle <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:27:42 -0000

Found this strange/interesting site while looking for information on Celtic road-building:

http://www.oldtykes.co.uk/Elmethome.htm

The author appears to be something of an "Elmet nationalist", but there is some interesting speculation on "who was arthur" that might be relevant to Argrath, and some accounts of local battles (like Towton) through various periods. It probably a bit overly elaborate, but has a fair number of maps and document scans in various places.

Has some inteersting snippets, although I could not comment on their veracity:

"At the battle of Towton in 1461 - Britain's bloodiest battle - the
Yorkist faction had as many as 20,000 archers. At 15 arrows per minute that's 300,000 arrows per minute - 5000 arrows per second. 28,000 died. Nothing came close to this killing score until the First World War."

"One of the most fitting quotes regarding English archery was made by
a Burgundian merchant in Brugges in the 1480's. He noted in his diary that the weather was awful. The rain was a torrent. It was coming down so heavy it 'reminded me of English arrows'. Kind of says it all."