Re: Digest Number 707

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:53:37 -0000

Keith Nellist replying to ?:
> << The roads themselves were created by Sartar's magic, weren't they? And they
> were critical to the formation of the kingdom. >>

> I don't think Sartar built all of them. All of the Princes of Sartar seem to
> have undertaken building works, almost as if it is the "done thing" and a
> sign of their personal power.

The roads built by Sartar or at least during his reign are those covering the most difficult terrain, in and around the Quivin Mountains.

The road out of the Boldhome Valley to Jonstown is more than a rival to the famous Roman aquaeduct "Pont du Gar". Before this road not even goats would have chosen that route to Jonstown. The road surface itself is an almost insignificant by-effect of bridges, terraces, balconies and artificial ledges producing a gently rising straight road with lots of resting places really high up among the Quivin Peaks. IMO this was achieved by seamless and mortarless masonry - compare the Inca capital (Cuzco) for a rude approximation. Again IMO the original road has been built artistically pleasing, with occasional wayside shrines ornamented with statues, friezes etc. Before my inner eye the Royal Highway to Wilmskirk (along the Quivins and through Sambari Pass) looks something similar to the York city wall, though with a wider crown and occasional ramps up/down. (Again Roman masonry...)

IMO later princes' roads follow the Roman Road style with less of a limes character, but still will be elevated on dykes to avoid snowdrifts or inundation and allow free wind access. A positive side effect is the problem to ambush someone moving on the road who enjoys excellent perception of the surrounding lower ground (mostly).