Re: Re: Climate of Esrolia and olives

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:17:11 -0500

metcalphnz wrote:

> > Do you guys think that olivetrees grow there? That would
> > give the Esrolians high grade oil to preserve fish and
> > such with, and something to burn in proper oil lamps.
>
> I think the Esrolians would use oils from Caladraland
> for oil lamp fuel.
>
> --Peter Metcafe

Naptha and the like (the oils you are thinking of, I suspect) aren't quite as good as olive oil without good solid refining. Even by the 18th Century, whale oil and olive oil were used in preference to mineral oils for a) purity of flame b) lack of deblitating fumes.

Its not just the flame, its how it burns .

Of course, one could always import mineral oil having been purified & cracked by wonderous mostali means (I don't think the Calderalanders are quite up to petro-chem) but that makes folks reliant on the dwarfs.

Jeff