Re: seven mothers

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:37:20 -0800

HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:54:53 -0000
> From: "contracycle" <gamartin_at_...>
> Subject: Re: seven mothers
>
> Hmm. So why does anyone convert to the Lunar way, then? I mean if
> you can continue to worship your own gods, without let or hindrance
> from Lunar authorities, then surely the whole idea of "being a Lunar"
> falls by the wayside; you get a Lunar state taking taxes instead of
> the old state, but for most people this is a rather nominal change.

Imperial citizens are exempt from many taxes and are immune to local law enforcement.

In Sartari terms...

If your clan has been slapped with a 200-cow/year tribute for their part in the Starbrow rebellion you would be exempt from contributing if you were a citizen. Also, IIRC, in thunder Rebels much of your property and herds are considered communal property buy the Clan. Upon becoming a Citizen you could register that property as yours and the clan would be hard pressed to prove otherwise.

And, if you killed a man in a fight the local Thing couldn't touch you if you were a citizen. You could demand a hearing before the local Imperial authorities and plead you case there. Who do you think the judge is going to listen to, a citizen or the barbarous locals. And if the man's kin came to burn your stead, they'd have to worry about the Imperial garrison turning up at theirs the next day and crucifying them all.

It is good to be a citizen. :-)

&#92;&#92;/esley