Names

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:26:05 -0500

> Combining these two thoughts gives: - Inclusivus, Scarletus, Cyclicallus,

> Glowlinus, ... Hey! Not bad. Weyarrullus

Those sound very like the style of names in Asterix, suitable for any culture with Celtic influences. One of our campaigns included a scribe called Dotmatrix and the druid Needafix, and a Roman called Injurius Maximus. What didn't work so well was my trying to compose epic tales about my warrior character Ballistix, there was a clash of moods.

Terry Pratchett used a Puritan approach for members of his Omnian church. They started with names like Smite-the-Infidel, in their more moderate period we get Visit-the-Infidel-with-Explanatory-Pamphlets.

Then there's the approach of certain Amerindians, where the midwife looks out of the tent and names the child after the first thing she sees. Terry takes this off again, with twin brothers One Man Bucket and Two Dogs. The younger's name is in full One Man With Bucket Of Water. So the elder's full name is Two Dogs Fighting? Not quite ...

Andrew