Re: on Darktongue

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:59:21 +1300

Mikko:

>On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> > The elemental languages have not been "very difficult to learn".

>No?

Looking up the previous rules for learning such languages, I don't see anything that shows otherwise.

>How about comments like "...a language not made for human tongue"

Since Darktongue is also a language not made for human tongue yet has not been known to be exceptionally difficult to learn, this proves nothing.

In any case, a radically different picture of Stormspeech (called Stormtongue) is described in p233 of TR in which it is made by Harst the Reeve to allow the Storm Tribe to speak with one another.

> > Which simply says Stormspeech is not a language made for human
> > tongue.

>How easily do you think such languages are learned then.

Well, if I were to want to learn Stormspeech, I would go to a Priest or God-talker. It's what they use to communicate with the Gods of the Storm Tribe. Broyan is unusual in that he uses Stormspeech for other purposes.

--Peter Metcalfe