Re: seven mothers

From: contracycle <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:36:00 -0000

I'm talking about from the Heortling perspective. If you are presently experiencing a direct invasion and occupation, surely you would see the 7M as an enemy cult. It's legitimiser, apologist and a supporter of the same state presently taxing the hell out of your economy, killing your warriors and occupying your cattle ranges and possibly taking your citizens as slaves. Why are they not killed on sight? At least in the case of the Christian missionaries, they were able to cite or claim a certain level of personal neutrality or ambivalence, even if this did not translate into action; you could see why they could be persuasive or act as go-betweens under those circumstances. It's difficult to see how the 7M would be able to achieve this level of popular acceptabce.

> >Hmm. So why does anyone convert to the Lunar way, then?
>
> Because they wish spiritual and political advancement within the
> social order of the Empire perhaps?

Why would any self-respecting Hoerlting want that?

> But few people within the Lunar Empire are Lunars. Lunars have
> a distinguished and privileged position within the Empire. The
> Seven Mothers exists to help provincials become Lunars.

Hmm, thats why I was thinking of them as a mopping-up operation. Would they not likely be present along the forward edge of military presence?