Re: on Darktongue

From: t_m_ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:14:12 -0000

> But I take it that your ansver to the original question would be,
>that the Uz speak darktongue, and that it's the exact same language
>that Dehori and suchlikes speak.

Unless the UW Uz book reveals otherwise, this would be my understanding, although "exact same" might actually be "a dialect of", but I don't think that Uz shaman need to learn a different language to talk to Dehori than they do to talk to other Uz

> No wonder. I bet it uses sonar clicks and infrasound growls.

Again, I believe that the "full" darktongue does, although they are not necessarily used when speaking to non-native darktongue speakers (I think it was Farley Mowat who lived with an group of inuit and thought he had made great grounds in learning their language until he discovered that the whole group had effectively been speaking "baby language" for his benefit)