Re: Ooooh! Art; heroquests

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:16:29 -0000

>What they share is: Entry cost of 5 HP

David Dunham:
> Hmm, our experience is that you need 5 HP to survive a heroquest.
If you need 5 on top of that just to try, I don't see them being a very big part of the game any more.

> Agreed there, if you 'lose' 5 HP before you even start, most
players will want to use them for character improvement, not HQs (which CAN improve the character, but not always, and usually only in specific abilities).

Idle speculaztion warning:

I assume that Sky Bull HQ is a form of quest challenge. You previously had to have a minumum number of APs for a quest challenge, so that may be what was meant. Alternatively it could be a new rul . If we percieve Quest Challenges as in-game ways to bump existing skills or gain new stragne ones, then the 5HP is the cost of the skill, but has to be wagered on successful completion of the quest.

Many HQs are effectively solos and some seem to be done for hero advancement, not the community. I have often thought it might be good to have '5-min' quests that can be run with one player, in a abstracted and short form so the other players do not get bored, who is looking to gain a specific known ability. Charging a HP 'fee' would help to balance the 'simple heroquest' against an 'extended heroquest', where you might spend more HPs.

Of course, I know nothing.

Ian Cooper