Re: seven mothers

From: Dougie <dougiepunk_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:08:42 -0000

>What does the Empire care about the basic Heortling social unit? In Dara
Happa
>everybody is responsible for his own deeds...

hmm, but when it comes to taxes, no individual Heortling actually owns much more than his weapons and the clothes he stands in, the rest is communal to his bloodline and the clan...

>Many sympathisers leave their lunar-hating clans and join
>the Lunar clans.

well, they would only do this a communal bloodline decision. An ndividual - doesn't just frag off all his friends, family and ancestors in Heortling society and up sticks to live with a bunch of strangers.

A lunar sympathisers is much more likely show his support by speaking up amounst the clan for co-operation with, and tolerance of, the new way, whilst pointing out the benefits such co-operation could bring the whole clan (such as tax exemptions). The individual (and thus his family, who's support he had better have) will get better trade terms with other sympathisers and Eyreis merchants and the generous support of the local Lunar authorities (e.g. invites to dinner with the local senior authority giving opportunities to make powerful friends),. And who are the Lunar troop gong to help when the next broo infestation occurs? And guess who's enemies get more than their share of unwelcome Lunar attention?

 Even non Lunar sympathisers will start to want to curry your favour because of your extra wealth and influence. In the meantime, you are a shining example to the rest of your clan of what benefits a little tolerance of the newcomers can bring). What you _do not_ do is just dump on the rest of your clan and kin...

Sorry Wesley, I just don't think anyone would or could act independantly of the rest of the community in Heortling society - that would leave you in pretty much the same state as outlawry (even with Lunar protection) and just joining a pro Lunar tribe isn't going to happen (they are still basicaly Heortlings and why should they welcome some stranger who has just dumped all over his own clan?) Instead, you convince the rest of your community to join you...

Dougie.

Dougie.