Re: Re: seven mothers

From: e-g_at_...
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 00:48:32 GMT

david.boatright_at_... writes:

>And where is the objective evidence that the Lunars are there for
>any other reason than exploitation.

Show me the empire anywhere in history that had no interest in exploiting the peoples it conquered... Doesn't mean it's the _only_ reason for conquest, though.

>Has there been any attempt to
>introduce Lunar civilisation to the masses?

Isn't that exactly what the 7 Mothers are trying to do?

>Any evidence of Lunar Law giving justice to all?

Is "justice for all" a Lunar ideal? I thought the Goddess was more about letting each person find their own Justice in their own way. Certainly the Dara Happan law codes don't apply in Carmania, or the Carmanian ones in Sylila, or...

>Any evidence of
>trade from far way places being stimulated by the Lunar presence?

Yes, definitely. That's the reason the Lunars wanted to capture a route to the sea, after all. (of course, they haven't been particularly _successful_ in stimulating trade, but they are trying)

>Any evidence of Lunar cults providing for the starving?

Teelo Norri poorhouses? Danfive Xaron penitentiaries? The Hon-eel maize cult? The Crimson Bat? (Well, the Bat certainly reduces the number of starving people in its neighbourhood).

>Any
>evidence of major Lunar engineering works to benefit the people?

All the time, effort and energy they spend on upkeep of the road network? (since those cheap, gimcrack spells of Sartar's fizzled out. Shoddy magical workmanship, not a bit like the Conquering Daughter's Roads.) Also, the Temple of the Reaching Moon means that the Lunar priestesses' spells can benefit the people all week long - and as soon as the new Temple is finished, even more people will feel the benefit!

>On the other hand we have a tribes and clans destroyed, slave
>farms established, attempted destruction of a temple and the Lunar
>Army marching on to conquer another country scant years after
>defeating Sartar. Do the math.

Sounds like business as usual for the Heortlings, actually...

Stephen
(barefaced-Lunar-apologists-R-us)