Re: scale

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:48:08 +0000

Pete McAveney :

>Mikko Rintasaari:
> >It seems to me that the scale is seriously off. At least by a factor of
> >2, and propably more.
>
>Exactly right. Not U.S.-sized, not Eurasia, but North America. Throw in
>Canada
>and you've got a deal.

Okay, I'm convinced. A bit of thinking on this, says to me that the whole scale is way off. For a real world example, the Mongols in 1259 held an empire of about 9,000,000 square miles - getting on for three times the size of the USA, although it fragmented fairly soon after. British Empire was bigger, but that was gained by gunpowder, not guys on horse back with bows.

Checking the Lunar Map, the mighty empire is slightly smaller than the British mainland, which makes Sartar tiny. I'd want Sartar more the size of Scotland, so an increase of about a factor four seems right. That makes the Lunar Empire about 2,500 miles long, which is comparable to the bigger Medieval and Ancient empires.

Genertela is by this up to the size of about Eurasia - bit bigger than you wanted Pete, but indulge me. This also fits well with the implicit scale I've always used - I only deal in 'it takes X days to reach Y'.

Not sure we need a seperate group to sort this out...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson