Re: Re: 7 mothers, lightbringer temples, world dominance

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:58:07

jobbins:

>Me> No. The Empire has no problems with the worship of Humakt
> > as such - as a lot of Carmanians can testify. Yanafal
> > Tarnils is not Humakt's replacement although there are
> > conflicts of interest.

>ah... your answer implies that the empire dictates policy for the
>cult of yanafal

They don't.

>Yet whilst the empire may have no views on the matter,
>might not the cult of Yanafal be attempting to take over the 'War'
>temples by (as mentioned earlier) establishing shrines within
>them & religio-political maneouvering?

Considering the example of the Carmanian Humakti mentioned before, I'd say no. Taking over the temples of other gods (which is only a gateway to their godplane) doesn't increase your own god as your gods power is not dependent on the number of gateways that it has. This isn't a world where belief makes reality.

What Yanafali are interested in doing is glory (crushing the foe on the battlefield) and prestige (watching with pride over ranks and ranks of troops waiting for your orders). Stealing somebody else's temple is almost vulgar by comparison.

>Surely there is some
>distinction between the goals of the empire and the goals of
>(even the most prominent) cults within it?

There always is.

--Peter Metcalfe