Enemy of my Enemy is my friend

From: david.boatright_at_...
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:55:01 -0000

Oliver D. Bernuetz

>Such sentimentality. Don't mistake any Gloranthan society for

Sentimentality has nothing to do with the discussion. The discuusion was whether or not the Herotlings in Sartar had a common reason to want the Lunars out.

> some modern soft society. They invaded Sartar to keep the
>Sartarites from invading Tarsh (and probably because someone in
>the provincial government thought they'd profit from the invasion).
>Theyn are there to keep the peace and keep the Sartarites down.
>Lunar justice and rights are only available to Lunar citizens so if
>they're too foolish to accept Lunar ways they deserve whatever
>they get. Better a few (or a lot) of dead innocents than a
>continuous state of revolt.

Then why attack Heortland. That place was so screwed from internal strife it who did it posed a threat too. And if the Herotlings in Sartar are so fragmented how could they possible be a threat to te Empire.

>Heortlings can't claim clean hands as far as slaves go, the Lunars
>are just more sophisticated as far as their use of them goes.

I am sure Heottlings can make a huge distinction between having a few thralls around who clear out cess pits and huge state run slave farms.

>There's three (main) sides to the Lunars in Sartar, the occupation
>force that's there to keep the Heortlings in their place,

Plenty of evidence of this.

>the group there to earn their fortune at the expense of the locals
>(and the army) especially as they can exploit the locals who
>aren't citizens,

Plenty of evidence of this.

>and the groups that are present to spread Lunar culture. The
>latter have a hard slog of it since the locals are too stupid to
>appreciate the glories of the Lunar way and they've learned the
>hard way that they'd better stick to those parts of Sartar with a
>troop detatchment for their own safety.

No evidence of this what so ever.

>The occupation force would like to spread more culture but their
>budget is spread pretty thin as it is. Eventually the locals will
>smarten up and see the errors of their culture.

Now who is being Sentimental. BTW there is no W in my surname.