Re: A load of old skybull...

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:07:36 -0800

At 02:04 AM 1/25/2002 GMT, Alex wrote:
>Thanks, that was an unexpectly long list, but very cool. I suppose
>it underlines the breadth of Urox's relationship to them: as sire,
>protector, and conqueror.

I think of this as an example of how many mythological explanations are given for the same thing. Getting various feats has a dozen or more ways to do it, parts of the LBQ vary widely from each other, and so on.

>At a guess, the various different quests
>will tend more towards his fertility, his kinship, and his fighting
>prowess. (OK, so they'll _all_ be mainly fighting, I mean relatively!)
Whatever your story wants.

>> Remember that these all include several stages of story events. Variant
>> versions of most of them exist. What they share is:
>> Entry cost of 5 HP
>Owch. Seems a bit steep!

Yes.

>> wager of Ride [everything], which MUST be lost
>The way you phrase that confuses me a little. Are you saying that
>(all) your ride ability(ies) are what has to be staked? Or that you
>have to lose the ability, _win or lose_?
You have a contest. If you don't lose this ability then you will not get your Skybull.

>> Net result of Ride zazur at 17 OR your Worship [Stormbull/urox], whichever
>> is higher.
>
>OK, the moral here is clearly, have a high Relationship... I wondered
>all this while what that number was for! And whether or not you get
>an actual bull depends on the form of the quest?
As hinted above.

>How will this vary depending on the objective of the quest? Say one's
main goal is: a) to gain a personal mount; b) to gain the skill to
>ride them; c) to obtain a "source" of skybulls for one's clan; d) to
>make the skill readily available to the clan. Does which one principally
>desires effect either which "version" one should use, or the game
>mechanics for the "ante" and "stake"?

It is not a thing for me to decide on nor for rules to determine. At this level I can only say "whatever your story wants."

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>