Re: Small Glorantha

From: contracycle <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:19:15 -0000

> What things go seriously wrong if one "needs to know the
> dimensions"? How will it affect game-play which is the
> only reason why the debate is supposedly taking place on
> this forum? I can't think of a single reason in which
> heroes should whip out abacuses and contrast population
> densities against some mysterious standard of which they
> have no way of knowing.

Foul! Extension to illogical extreme. The problem is much more acute from the GM's point of view; if you're looking at the map and making decisions, you want them to be plausible so that they are memorable, intuitive, make sense. I don't want to wrestle with the problem of how all these people feed themselves if I'm trying to write a plot; I don't want to to have to suspend disbelief in the maps, they are one of the strongest visual props we have.

And lastly, well... it just makes it a bit harder to evoke imperial grandeur and so on. I like 'em big, empires. :)