Re: Atrox Church

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:19:13 +1300

At 04:14 28/01/02 +0900, you wrote:
>Recently, in HeroWars-jp_at_... had an interesting discussion about
>Sir Ethilrist and his mercenary Black Horse troops.
>
>a) What was the origin of their Farmer Caste? Vendref or Grazer?

Camp followers that travelled with Sir Ethilrist upon his journeys.

>b) In older setting, there is an Arkat Temple in Muse Roost (Genertela Boxed
>Set) Do you think Atrox Church tolerates Arkat Worship in his Knight Order?
>Some of the Gloranthaphile has pointed out their attitude was similar to
>Calvinism Puritans, if the "murder and betrayal" means not only the betrayal
>of Zzabur to Malkion, but that Arkat did to Gerlant, or other Companions....

An interesting insight. There's a number of possible solutions:

  1. Arkat was a scribe's error for Atrox.
  2. Arkat is not worshipped but is a figure of excoriation and the locals worship him by throwing stones at his image.
  3. Ethilrist is deeply hurt by Keener Than's betrayal. The Temple for him to mediate in.
  4. The Temple is where Bad Knights are punished.

>c) Can I say Black Horse Troops are bad guys as Kingdom of War or Kingdom
>of Ignorance?

If you want to portray them as villains in your campaign then there's no problem. Since they can also be used as heroes, they are not quite in the same category as the Kingdom of War (and there are good people in Ignorance).

--Peter Metcalfe