Re: Re: Deva?

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:21:27 -0500

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

> > daimones).
> > >
> > > Is Deva a Sartarite word for a daimon?
> >
> > it's a real-world (Hindi I think) word for a divine being. Never
> > heard it used as a HW term before. I prefer it to 'daimone'
> actually,
> > it sounds less... demonic...
> >
> > Wulf
>
> Yup. I know the hindi word, but it does sound like an interesting
> alternative to daimon. That sounds so much like game mechanics. One
> needs cultural terms.
>
> I've been looking at old norse words for god and spirit, but old norse
> dictionaries aren't that easy to find.
>
> -Adept

I use words like fyulgur (sp) but that is more specificallly one's beast self and more associated with shamanic practice. Draug and dragur (walkers) make nice words for Delecti & the Marsh Boyz. Runequest Vikings has some nice words scattered through it.

But Deva? I just can't help but think:

Are we not men?
Are we not men?
No! We are Deeva!

Jeff, who's pondering a Stargate SG-1 RPG a bit too much, Kyer