RE: Chaotic bat

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:55:27 -0500

Morgan Conrad :

 >> "I mean it's bloody enormous"

 > so are Dragons, so is that giant mountain in Sartar, so is The Hound ( I assume?).

I mean for a bat, a dragon's not a giant lizard or crocodile and I have no idea what this hound is you're talking about. Most of the outsized monstrousities of Glorantha are chaotic. Dragons, giants and dinosaurs are the major exceptions and the Heortlings now all three of these and have places for them in their beliefs. The Bat has no place in their belief systems. The Bat's a Call of Cthulhu style monster in what's mostly a fantasy world.

>>"yet flies very slowly"

>The laws of physics apply so seldomly in Glorantha that I don't see how
this is
>relevant. BTW, how fast do Dragons, Griffins, etc. fly?

I disagree there's still quite a lot of physical restrictions present limiting running speed, swimming, etc. You need magic to exceed these. One of the eyewitness accounts we have of the bat mentions that it flies very slowly so Gloranthans obviously have some idea of how fast something can fly. Since something like movement rates is too concrete for Hero Wars I really couldn't say, faster than a horse can run though.

>>"is covered with eyes, glows, causes madness"

>agreed, that's pretty strange. But Tricksters are strange too.

Oh please, tricksters are pretty picayune compared to one of the biggest monstrousities in Glorantha. (Well sure weird Harald you eat poop and can remove your arms but can you eat whole villages souls and all?)

>>"is infested with strange vermin"

>Most Uroxi are infested with strange vermin. :-)

True.

>Dragons breathe fire (at least classically, not sure how many do in
Glorantha)

I don't know whether real dragons do, but dream dragons can do whatever the twisted mind that dramt them up wants.

>When The Bat eats Heortlings, that's chaotic, but when the Dragon ate the
Lunar
>garison, that's not?

Why is eating Heortlings chaotic? It's bad but just eating them isn't chaotic. Eating them and sucking their souls out too, that's chaotic!

>I'm admittedly being a bit argumentative here, but there are plenty of big,
strange
>things in Glorantha, many are not chaotic.

I'm sure it doesn't matter to the dead whether their village was destroyed by a chaotic or non-chaotic monstrosity. The only real, true, take it to the bank sign of chaos for Heortlings is whether it sets off an Uroxi's chaos sense. If it doesn't register as chaos they can always find other reasons to kill it anyway.

Oliver