Re: Re: Re: Deva?

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:12:59 -0800

'Deva' is indeed a Sanskrit term - 'deva(h)' meaning god, and 'deva-' meaning divine. The Avestan 'dava-' is a spirit or demon. The word became both 'devil' and 'divine' as it traveled across Persia and Europe. Devi is the Hindu Mother Goddess, Durgha the Buffalo Slayer, Bearer of Shakti and greater than all the gods.

> I've been looking at old norse words for god and spirit, but old norse
> dictionaries aren't that easy to find.

Some Old English, per chance?

Words for gods include 'god' (ok not so helpful), 'upgodu' has a nice ring for spirits of the air, 'Os' has definite possibilities, while 'deathgodas' (th=thorn) for the infernal deities is also unsurprising.

A 'gast' is a spirit. A murderous spirit is a 'waekgaest'. A 'faul' is an evil spirit'. 'Deathscua' is believe it or not, a spirit of death. An 'ellorgaest' is a spirit from somewhere else.

'Gydig' is one possessed by a god. (godi, gyrda).

These all reflect literate, monotheist, Christian Anglo-Saxon England. Looking further back (via Brian Bate's 'The Way of Wyrd') we are reminded that Anglo-Saxons dealt with spirits based around the concepts of 'wyrd' and life-force or breath, neither unfamiliar to your average Heortling.

John